How a Positive Mindset Positively Affects Your Workout
The biggest roadblock standing in the way between you and a fitness program may be your own thinking! Mindset plays a key role in how you view yourself, your physical abilities and mindset affects your workout results!
At Cause and Effects Fitness, our certified personal trainers take a holistic approach working with clients, including the right mindset for a successful fitness program. We’ll discuss how we can help you achieve your personal goals, whether it’s keeping up with your kids, improving flexibility or running a marathon.
Owner Chad Franciscus is an ACE Behavior Change Specialist as well as an ACE Certified Personal Trainer and COPE Certified Health Coach. Chad believes working with a personal trainer to get fit is about living your life well and not being limited by your body or mind.
What is mindset?
Mindset is simply a set of beliefs. Your mindset determines how successful you are at anything; whether or not you believe you are capable or deserving of achieving goals. Psychologist and Stanford University professor Carol Dweck writes about two core mindsets:
- a fixed belief that your abilities are limited and goals may be unattainable.
- a growth mindset in which you believe your abilities and skills can be improved.
A positive or growth mindset allows you to work on goals while truly believing you can achieve them.
Why is mindset important for a fitness plan?
Ask any professional athlete about their approach to sports, and they’ll tell you along with exercise, diet and a healthy lifestyle, mindset plays a major role in their success. If you believe you can’t do it, you probably won’t. Conversely, a positive mindset allows you to focus on your unique fitness goals and how to achieve them.
At Cause and Effects Fitness, your personal trainer will address three core beliefs needed to make positive changes in your life:
- You have to believe you’re worth it and deserve the rewards that change will bring! Your trainer will remind you of this and encourage you along the way. “You have the right to be happy and have good things. You’re worthy and deserving of rewards that change will bring,” says Chad.
- You have to believe your efforts are worth it. The return has to be worth your investment, and the benefits far outweigh the cost.
- You have to believe you’re capable of doing it. This can be a stumbling block. It can be daunting if you don’t know what you’re doing or supposed to be doing. A personal trainer will lead you to your goals. That goes a long way in keeping up confidence—having someone who believes in you even when you don’t fully believe in yourself until you’ve developed that belief.
Challenge your thinking!
Our personal trainers talk to clients about their relationship with themselves and how they talk to themselves negatively. We ask them: “Would you talk to your best friend that way? Is that encouraging?” We challenge how they think about themselves.
“You have to be a friend to yourself,” explains Chad. “When you’re down on yourself it’s not productive, you’re not motivated. Being down on yourself becomes a pattern. If you’re stuck in that rut, it can be a barrier to changing things. We help our clients turn that around.”
Inspiring our clients
Positive thinking and inspiring our clients is a fundamental part of our philosophy. Positive mindset quotes you’ll hear at Cause and Effects Fitness:
Cause and Effects Motto: “It’s not that you can’t, it’s that you haven’t yet.” “Don’t worry about your age, worry about your growth.”
“You can grow younger.”
“Keep learning and trying new things!”
Changing your mindset is one of the best things you can do for your health. If you focus solely on changing your behavior, but not your mindset, you’ll eventually fall back into your old routine. Altering your mindset will only serve to better your workout results and your overall quality of life.
Contact Cause and Effects Fitness today to find out more about our holistic approach to exercise, including mindset. Our team of certified personal trainers would love to help you achieve your fitness goals!